The swimming bath is officially opened and the event is celebrated with a “jump in”. The school begins to claw its way up the rankings at the inter-high at Ellis Park.
The St Mary’s badge is redesigned by the Art teacher, Miss Viner. The design is still in use today.
Sport is becoming increasingly popular but the tennis and hockey teams have modest success in the leagues. Without a swimming pool in which to train, there is not much hope for the swimming team either. The Sisters are determined to put the school on the map, but health comes first: when there is the threat of polio, all sport is cancelled.
The Junior School building is completed and the children move out of their temporary accommodation, the building used by Lord Roberts during the South African War.
The chapel is completed, and the temporary chapel becomes a classroom. Sister Janet contributes to its design, and moulds the Madonna and Child sculpture. The crucifix is placed in a new chapel garden in 1954, and the chapel is extended in 1955 to include a Lady chapel.
The school has a long tradition of producing excellent plays. Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream is performed under the gum trees in 1952. The school has no hall, nor room big enough to accommodate the audience.
The new hall is opened and girls and parents squeeze in for prizegiving. Pupil numbers are on the rise and the hall soon has to be enlarged by adding a stage behind.
St Mary’s first Olympian, Moira Abernethy, wins bronze at the 1956 summer games